Monday, August 3, 2009

Send more letters



It wasn't too long ago that the terrifying thought of not having a downtown branch of the post office was brought to my attention, and I wrote a post about it here on 3/30 in the ole Picaroon. A couple of days later, The Renton Reporter also chimed in and while the public was now made aware of the possible pending sale, I am not certain that we knew quite what to do about it. I know that in the comments section on the article at the Reporter above, you will see that a couple of our concerned citizens were rushing in to the defense of what I think is a necessary service and element of any healthy and active downtown city area. But come on folks, we need a few more voices than that to make a difference. Even though I don't see it there in the Reporter comment section any longer, I feel certain that one of the council members had also taken up the gauntlet on this essential issue concerning the future well being and livelihood of our historic downtown Renton.

Now, Debbie Englund (of the RUFF Renton Offleash Dog Park fame) has sent me a memo that has recently been circulated amongst the workers at the post office and she wanted me to share it with the viewers here at the blog.



Click on the letter to view it more clearly!

There is an address and there is a mission. Want to have to drive up to NE 4th and mail a package, buy some stamps or view the contents of a mail box you have rented? Ummm - sounds like we should all just start sending more letters to me - and the very next one should be to the address listed above in the memo -

Seattle District Consumer Affairs
P O Box 90306
Seattle, WA 98109 - 9631


Let your thoughts about losing the vital service the post office brings to our zipcode be heard and what that would mean to you personally and to the grander scheme of Renton as a whole. Weigh in now while there is a window of opportunity to express how vital and necessary it is to have the post office remain exactly where it is.

This is important to share from the comment section here at the blog:

"As one of your DTR USPS letter carriers, I for one DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT THE DT Branch to close! I can not for the life of me see how it would save them money. The building has NO AIR CONDITIONING and requires very little upkeep. The extra gas, and wear and tear on the Postal Vehicles , not to mention the overtime because of extra travel time to and from our routes, would in my opinion, more than tip the balance in any revenue lost at this particular facility!!! So yes, PLEASE WRITE THOSE LETTERS - tell them to close the Cascade branch instead if they need to save money. A city's Downtown hub NEEDS a Post Office - it's just good community relations and service. Thanks, Barbara V. route 38, Dt Renton. "

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you imagine how much gas we who walk to the Downtown Renton Post Office would spend going up the hill to the new Post Office, especially at rush hour?

The Downtown Renton Post Office always seems busy to me. We need to keep it in Downtown!

Unknown said...

As one of your DTR USPS letter carriers, I for one DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT THE DT Branch to close! I can not for the life of me see how it would save them money. The building has NO AIR CONDITIONING and requires very little upkeep. The extra gas, and wear and tear on the Postal Vehicles , not to mention the overtime because of extra travel time to and from our routes, would in my opinion, more than tip the balance in any revenue lost at this particular facility!!! So yes, PLEASE WRITE THOSE LETTERS - tell them to close the Cascade branch instead if they need to save money. A city's Downtown hub NEEDS a Post Office - it's just good community relations and service. Thanks, Barbara V. route 38, Dt Renton.

Anonymous said...

The Renton post office is not on this list (http://www.prc.gov/prc-docs/home/whatsnew/Station%20and%20branch%20list_120.pdf). Does that means it's safe?

Lady P said...

Thank you again, Lao Gong - yes just the other day (maybe just as I was penning this post) the heat got taken off the downtown Renton post office and a Kent post office got put on. I hadn't gotten a chance to post an update - to much OTHER life happenin' and keepin me far too busy!

Copyright(c) 2008-2011 by the owner of this domain/blog,http://thepicaroon.blogspot.com/. All rights Reserved.