Monday, February 16, 2009

Just cuz it's a holiday, do we really have to get it on?

Seattle Aquarium - I know, out of the zip code, but the last of my Valentine posts, I promise. Besides, I went on this field trip with two other Rentonites, so that makes it seem semi official community business.
Pepper and Popeye, the two octopi in captivity were hosted on the most public mating date ever, V Day of course, and didn't even make out. But they also have the longest date ever- until the 21st, to make things right.
Apparently this has been a long standing mating ritual at the Aquarium and they have about a 50% success rate. Do we have that good of odds in the homo sapien realm of the walking singles?
This breed of sea animal is thousands of years old and yet only lives to be four years of age and dies shortly after giving birth. I hope they do get around to doing it - if that's all you have to look forward to is creating 80,000 potential offspring and then dying, you deserve to be able to get it on - at least once.
Geez, I hope I don't have to be on my deathbed to hook up...
Seattle Aquarium Pier 59 1483 Alaskan Way 206-386-4300 $16 (whew!) Open daily 9:30 - 6:00 last ticket sold at 5:00

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the life of the octopuss is so sad when you think they only live for 4 years and mate once, what a waste if you ask me. they are rather cool looking though

Copyright(c) 2008-2011 by the owner of this domain/blog,http://thepicaroon.blogspot.com/. All rights Reserved.