Friday, January 23, 2009

An apple a day...

I love apples - and I think they may indeed be my favorite fruit. So easy to pack and take with you, coming in their own carrying case (their peel) that can then be simply washed and eaten. And we do live in the best place in the states to get them.
Today at the Top of the Hill Market, located up on Cemetery Hill (4th St. for the rest of you), they had my favorite apple of all time on sale and I really had to indulge. I am referring to no other than The Pink Lady. Lovely to look at ( see the lovely pink hue?) and a crisp interior than goes well in a salad, a muffin or just in your mouth. I am going to fill you in on a little apple salad recipe that came to the family only about a year ago, and we just cannot stop making it. It is requested at all the gatherings, and we keep playing around with some of the ingredients, it's just so damn good. And if you have someone who doesn't like to eat their fruit, this will make them sit up and beg for more. If you have someone watching their calories, this originally came from Weight watchers, so no one is left out on this treat.

Simple Apple Salad

4 large apples, cored and sliced into bite size bits
One container of Cool Whip (Fat Free, Low Fat, Extra Creamy - whatever - they always have this one for sale for a buck - you should never be without one in the freezer - I know, it's not a staple food item, or necessarily good for you - but what if you forget the milk one day - your coffee or cereal will love you for this!)(did I just admit I put that on my cereal!!!!)
One small packet of instant sugar free Butterscotch pudding
One large can, 20 oz., of crushed pineapple
Additionally: diced walnuts, diced celery, raisins, cranraisins, ummmm - little marshmallows :)
Mix all the wet stuff together with the pudding, add your apples and extras - this makes a nice, large bowl, which is good, because it just flies out or our fridge.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As much as I love apples by this time they have definately run their course as my favorite fruit. I am ready for some berries or fruits with pits.

Copyright(c) 2008-2011 by the owner of this domain/blog,http://thepicaroon.blogspot.com/. All rights Reserved.